The Rockford Community Choir is sponsored by the Rockford Area Arts Commission and under the direction of Renee Vande Wege. The choir is comprised of singers ages 13-85! Rehearsals are on Thursdays (7:00-8:30) from September to May at Rockford’s First Congregational Church. They perform two major concerts a year. No audition is required.
Season finale concerts are held in conjunction with the Rockford Community Band, Orchestra and Children’s Choir. Other performances and venues may be added throughout the season, based on choir member availability and community interest.
A typical rehearsal involves warm-ups, technique refinement, literature study, occasional listening, basic movements (to improve artistry) and announcements or good things (an opportunity to share with others).
- Thursdays @ 7:00-8:30 pm
- Rockford’s First Congregational Church – 192 E. Bridge Street
- Fall Session: September 5 – December 8, 2013
- Spring Session: January 16 – April 27, 2014
- Saturday, October 26, 2013 – Vande Wege Vocals Concert
- Sunday, December 8, 2013 – Rockford Area Arts Commission Concert
- Sunday, April 27, 2014 – Rockford Area Arts Commission Concert
- $25 donation per semester
- DUES DEAL – $40 for both fall and spring sessions (Due September 12, 2013)
About Renee Vande Wege
Renee Vande Wege, Rockford Community Choir Director, has been involved with the Rockford Area Arts Commission since 2002. In 2011, she launched a local music business, Vande Wege Vocals, through which she teaches a variety of local music classes and conducts the Rockford Community Children’s Choir (RC3). Vande Wege has also been teaching private voice lessons in the area since 2001. She is a member of the Opera Grand Rapids chorus and enjoys performing in and instructing local Children’s Opera Workshops. Vande Wege earned her Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance from Hope College (’00), and her Master of Music in Music Education from Michigan State University (’05). She is married to local singer/song-writer, Mr. Picklehead of Dilly Songs. The Vande Weges reside in Rockford with their children, Emily and Levi.